Sunday, November 23, 2008

Snow Sparked Kitchen Comfort

Last night we had a blast with our friends. There were 6 couples including ourselves. We laughed so hard at Tim Hawkins that my cheeks are literally sore today. It was a great ab workout!

We did something unusual today. We slept in and stayed home from church. And we woke up to some unexpected snow this morning. It must have prompted some culinary desires in me because I have been baking and cooking since I got up. Made a big breakfast for my boys and then decided to keep going.

There was a new recipe I tried this morning and seriously cannot believe it was so easy. The cookies are very light and cakey. I don't usually like cakey cookies I really enjoyed these.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


1 box Spice Cake Mix
1 can Pumpkin (15oz., not pie filling)
1/2 bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes. (Yes, seriously, it's that easy!)


I also whipped up my favorite soup. This stuff is one of the healthiest, yummy things we eat at our house. I don't know that you could pack more nutrients into one bowl. And The Prairie Kid loves it too! Here's what I did:
Filled a big pot 1/3 full with water. Put in some beef base, garlic, 2 bay leaves, 2 T. dry oregano, 2 cans stewed Italian tomatoes, 1 can kidney beans, 1/3 large bag frozen mixed veggies (peas, carrots, green beans, corn), 1 lg. can mushrooms, 2 cups shredded home grown zucchini, 1/2 bag lentils. I will let it simmer all day but it was ready in an hour and a half for lunch. I added more beef base and water so that I had plenty of broth and then some Tabasco sauce for more flavor.

I'm off to eat!

No comments: