Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Little Things

I am learning in my life right now about the little things again. They are precious and we can rejoice in them. I thanked God yesterday for filling me spiritually so that I can fully appreciate the physical blessings He gives. Here is a little list of the little things that I feel are great blessings these days (and under the circumstances, yes, most are food related):

- Eggnog. One of my favorites this time of year but I didn't think I was going to get to have any due to my dietary restrictions. Now that I get to have dairy again, at the store on Monday when I saw it I grabbed a carton, read the ingredients and rejoiced! I can have eggnog!

- Corn tortilla chips.

- Almond butter.

- Sleep. I have had two good nights in a row. When you haven't slept well for months this is a huge blessing.

- Gluten-free carob cookies.

- Texting.

- New socks.

- Shark Tank. What a great way to unwind with the Hubby on a Tuesday evening.

Even though I've had the joy of many little things, there are big things too. I cannot tell you how much it means to me that God has provided an incredible support system of people around me. The elders at church have blessed me with their prayers, thoughts, and even one of them is giving me a couple month break from teaching children's church by covering the spot for me. My friends have been checking in with me and I know that I can call them any time if I need them. My family. Oh, you people have blessed me. The flowers are beautiful! Thanks for the phone calls and emails. And guess what? My wonderful mom has decided that she needs to be with her daughter for a few days, even though I am heading to her place for Thanksgiving! She is coming on Halloween for 3 days! Yay!

There are several verses in the Bible that talk about suffering, finding joy, etc. I am thankful for them and embracing them in my spirit:

James 1:2 tells us "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trial of many kinds."

Philippians 4:6 says "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18: "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

Lord, thank you. Thank you for the big things, the little things, and most of all, thank you for You.

No comments: