Saturday, August 18, 2012

Fitting

We just got in from checking cows; it is calving season.  The Prairie Daddy spotted a heifer right away that had a calf coming backwards.  He called his brother to bring up some tools to help as we coaxed her to the corral.

He put her in the chute and then checked to see if he could feel the entire calf inside the womb.  Once he located all of the "parts" they put chains around the hooves and pulled.

It was the hardest calf pull I've ever witnessed.  It was so hard to watch and I prayed the whole time.  It got too hard for The Prairie Kid to watch; when the heifer laid down in the chute he was done.

Finally the calf came out.  I had prayed that it would be alive.  I didn't think it was.  The Prairie Daddy quickly started pushing on it's chest to get it going.  Nothing.  But there was a strong heart beat and finally, after what seemed like a long time (but was probably less than a minute), the calf started to wheeze a bit and breath.

Why did this seem so fitting?  As we were first riding out to the field on the 4-wheeler, I was telling The Prairie Kid that at the same time seven years ago I began labor with him.  I had a special connection with that heifer tonight.  Her baby was breech and mine was only sunny side up, but we both experienced the harshness of labor pains on the same August night seven years apart.  Tonight is much nicer than the night we drove to the hospital.  I remember at about 11pm there were a few snowflakes falling.

Tomorrow we will celebrate the sweet birthday of our precious miracle.  He wants to go to Yellowstone so that is where we will head.

I will lay my head down tonight with deep gratitude for the joy of having a son and a thankful heart that the calf was saved (and maybe even the mom) this evening.

1 Samuel 1:27–28
"I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD."

No comments: