Monday, September 27, 2010

Fall Kitchen Events

It seems like this time of year I enjoy spending some time in the kitchen. Lately, I have had some good experiences, and bad. I'll share one of each today.

I like to start off with the bad and get it over with.

I was really excited about a new recipe idea. It was on a gals blog that has become quite famous for healthy, family-friendly food ideas. It was for carrot chips. Look at this bowl of carrot chips from her blog...I thought, "What a great idea! And I have a whole large bag of carrots!"

So, I watched the little video and followed the directions. Not to a "T" but close enough.

The recipe said to cook for 45 minutes on 250. Mine took 2 hours. And they weren't like her pretty bowl of carrot chips. They were, well, here, you look...



I used and ENTIRE large bag of baby carrots and ended up with this SANDWICH size bag of pathetic carrot chips. Well, Famous Blogging Lady, you've got some special talent for carrot chips. Kudos.
Now for the good part. : )
I have been a part of a co-op that I get a big basket of fruits and veggies from every 2 weeks. You never know what you're going to get. And sometimes you get things and think "uh, what am I going to do with that???"
For instance, the HUGE butternut squash that I got last time. I knew my family would not want to eat roasted butternut squash for 2 weeks, or even 1 for that matter. So, I got on trusty Google and looked for recipes. Yep, you can roast the stuff, that's for sure. It wasn't appealing to me so I added the word "soup" to my search.
I found a fairly simple recipe on the Food Network and I actually had all of the ingredients for it. So, I whipped up a batch and YUMMY! Even The Prairie Daddy and The Prairie Kid (who rather wishes squash didn't exist) liked it!
And what did I do with the 2 acorn squash that I got in my last basket? Yep, squash soup! Have it already for the freezer. : ) (I just didn't feel like serving it this week considering it is in the 80's. I think we'll save it for when it gets chilly again).
Here is the link to the recipe in case you're interested:

No comments: