Thursday, August 12, 2010

Whimpy Whimp

Transitions, transitions. Who is ready for Kindergarten? Who is ready for a new fall season for our family? Who is ready to head into routine? Who is ready for vaccinations?

Not me.

But The Prairie Kid seems to be soaring right into these things with more excitement and bravery then I ever expected. Yesterday was his 5 year wellness check up with the final vaccinations before Kindergarten. When we got into the doctor's office I asked "how many?" FOUR!

What? Isn't this illegal? Isn't this considered child torture or something like that? Cruel and unusual punishment? I am considering writing a bill to ban this kind of thing.

He had the wellness exam. I sat there and gloated over my son. He is healthy as can be. Entertaining and cute. Yep, I am a mom. A mom who is head over heels for her son. Just cannot help but to love and beam over this miracle that God gave me.

And then came the time for the doc to leave and the nurse to arrive again.

Torturer.

She offered a choice of where to receive the cruel and unusual punishment He picked one in each arm and one in each leg. I thought I was going to throw up. But I had to pull through for my child so I pulled on a fake look of ease and as he received his torture I asked him what he might like to buy if I took him to the dollar store right after the torture. And then I pulled out my iPod and played a game for him to watch and reminded him to look at the iPod and not The Torturer. He took each should-be-completely-outlawed stab without crying or flinching. Not even a wince.

He is my hero.

And then I hugged him (not where he was tortured) and loved him and praised him and wanted to hand him a million dollars for the dollar store (but just gave him two). It was a joy to take him shopping.

In a week and a half they expect me to leave him at this place called school, all day, every day. I think I am going to flinch and cry and wince. I don't think he got his bravery from me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I could tell you it gets easier. It doesn't. I'm dreading the beginning of school. I miss my boy's company, I want to keep him all to myself!