Saturday, March 14, 2009

You've Waited Long Enough

Okay, Okay, I know some of you have been patiently waiting (or maybe you haven't been patiently waiting) but I think you've suffered long enough. Maybe.

The Prairie Kid has expanded his prayers and pleas as of late. I shared with you that he has been asking Jesus for a baby brother, or a baby in mommy's tummy. I have prayed that Jesus give my son a sibling.

Well, our prayers have been answered! The Prairie Kid gets a sibling!

Last Thursday we were preparing to eat lunch with our friends Faith the Fabulous and her cutie pa-tutie, Caleb. The Prairie Kid decided he was going to pray for lunch. "Dear Jesus, kank you for daddy and mommy. Pray for I want a dog. Pray Patch comes over. Amen."

Patch is our brother and sister-in-laws dog. He gets to come stay when they are out of town and he plays with my son so well! It is like having a babysitter! Or a sibling who doesn't yell back.

During lunch Faith the Fabulous, who happens to work at the local vet clinic, says "there is a really sweet dog at the clinic that they're trying to find a home for." And proceeds to woo me with details of this young dog who got picked up by our sheriff friend and hadn't been claimed. He would either have to be put down or taken to the humane society. And he was so sweet that the vet and his assistant really wanted to find him a good home. And he was good with kids.

Now, let me fill you in on a pre-blogging story. I did not grow up with dogs. When we were planning our wedding I wanted to get one. One day in the local paper, about 3-5 weeks before our wedding, I came across an ad for a border collie mix needing a new home. The Prairie Daddy and I went to meet the dog, who was 5 1/2 at the time, and brought him home. His name was Gus. He was the best. He was immediately attached, never took off (unless the lightening was super bad), rode on the ATV, played, obeyed, etc. Last January Gus got sick and passed very quickly one morning. It was traumatic and horrible on us all. I have never really wanted another dog since then. The Prairie Kid, even though he was only 2 when Gus died, talks about Gus regularly. He even prays that Gus will get better. I knew that a dog would be good for The Kid but I didn't want to do it again.

So, I shared with The Prairie Daddy about the pup in the clinic. We both agreed that we could go meet him. I clarified that I didn't want to do this but that it would be good for The Kid to have a dog. And I clarified that if we went and met him that we'd most likely bring him home.

Last Friday we told The Prairie Kid that we were going to go "meet a dog." And that we did. And then we brought him home.

There is much unknown about this dog. Here is the scoop:

He might be around a year and a half.
He is an uknown mix and might have some McNab and some hound in him.
He's around 40 pounds.
He's neutered.
He's a chewer and a runner.
He sheds a little but not too bad .
He acts like he's never seen other animals and wants to torment our 2 outdoor cats.
He plays really well with The Prairie Kid.
He has really cool eyes.
He didn't hate me for giving him a bath but didn't love it either.
He is really energetic but does well laying around on his bed.
He will tell you that he needs to go outside to chase a cat but not when he needs to pee.

Wanna meet him? We named him "Jack." I have already ordered him an engraved tag and a new leash. He came with a nice collar.



2 comments:

Ali and Ben said...

What a sweet looking pup! I'm sure he will be a great addition to your family!

Unknown said...

Yay for answered prayer, though you really do have a mean streak in the suspense and build up! I hope he becomes Tades best buddy!