Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Galaxy Finale

Last week was our last night for the Wednesday night program at church, Galaxy, until next school year. What a privilege it was to be able to coordinate such a program. I learned a lot, grew a lot, was challenged much, got to know such great people, and much more. For our final night with the kids we had quite a celebration. I put together a program for the parents so they could get a taste of what their kids were up to this year.
The Prairie Kid was in his first program! I wasn't sure how he'd do getting up in front of over 100 people; I know I wanted to throw up that I was the program's MC and had to use the mic and everything. But he was a rock star! Literally!

Here he is getting ready...


And here I introduced the "Stone Rolling Band"

And he could sing and play guitar simultaneously (wink, wink)

Break dancers are a little distracting!


It was a great night and I was so thankful for the opportunity to serve the Lord in this way this year. I will be coordinating the program again next year as well. I feel like this first year was my "training" and now I know what to expect!

On Saturday this past weekend we had another chance to serve God and other people. Our church has started a "CSI" program...Community Service Initiative. This was the second church-wide community service day that we've participated in. The difference this time was that we put together a project in our little town instead of driving to the town our church is in which is 30+ miles away. We contacted some local senior citizens and offered to do some yard work for them. We only had two families to work but we were able to accomplish quite a bit. We raked a double lot for a couple and worked in the yards of two widows. It was really neat to get to bless them this way.
Here is the crew working away...those pine trees dropped a lot of needles and cones!
The kids were such great helpers and had more endurance than I expected

Rebuilding irises for Ruth

Cleaning up Gene's yard

The Crew


The mission statement in our church is to love Jesus supremely, proclaim Him passionately, and serve others sacrificially. This was a great chance to serve. I hope to see these seniors again soon.

No comments: