Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Prairie EMT In Action

There was a medical emergency in our home this morning . The Witness called for me in a desperate cry, "Guy, Mom. Guy, uh-hand, uh-office."


Being the overly-compassionate Mom that I am not, I said, "In a minute, I have to finish this cooking and then I'll be available." I was in the middle of getting that yummy Yellow Curry Thai chicken dish ready for the crock pot. This is the dish that I was so excited about in Seattle where I found the curry paste last month. Obviously I have my priorities in order:

#1 Food
#2 Medical Emergencies

When I became "available" I asked The Witness to explain to me again what had happened. "Uh-guy, uh-hand, uh-office." I knew from previous EMT experience who the victim was and what injury I could expect to find. And I found him just as expected:




Do you know how hard it is to try to drive an ATV with one hand while bleeding profusely with your other hand recently severed? I don't either, I've never tried that.

Usually I also know exactly where to find The Severed Hand. It is typically still attached to the handle of the ATV. However, I did not find it there. So, I grabbed my trusty cup of coffee and headed toward The Witness, who had now left the scene to possibly destroy other innocent plastic guys, and I asked, "do you know where his hand is?" and then took another blissful coffee sip.


"Uh-coffee."
Gulp. I am thinking, "Great. The hand is in the coffee that I am currently drinking!"



I went to the medical supplies drawer and found a piece of equipment that was sure to solve this medical emergency. And it did.



Being trained in on-site severed body parts cleaning and reattachment, I was able to get things put back in order quickly so that 4-Wheeler Man and The Witness were able to be back in business.




I sure hope that the Thai chicken turns out tonight.

No comments: