Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A "Surprise" Going Away Party



I have been anxiously awaiting the freedom to blog about an event that I spent much time on this past few weeks. I couldn't tell you about it because it carried the risk of a surprise being ruined. But after weeks of the guest of honor not knowing about it, the beans were spilled the day of and she found out. : ( Although she didn't know the who's and what's about it.


This surprise going away girl's night was in honor of Monica the Magnificent. She is leaving in less than 2 weeks for a new adventure in California. You will be greatly missed, Monica. You have become dear to me and I have enjoyed sharing our lives together. I hope we'll be able to keep in touch.


We were able to have the party in the basement of my co-host's church. Theresa the Tremendous and I have been "secretly" meeting, shopping and putting things together. It has been great fun hanging out Theresa! And Reba the Radiant helped set things up. Here is Reba having her lifetime's first accomplishment in streamer twisting! Way to twist and tape, Reebs!


Even though Monica the Magnificent found out about the party her entrance was still fun:





After her grand entrance we "decorated" her for her party. Of course, the theme revolved around California and we added her favorite flower, the stargazer lily, as another decorative touch.






We ordered pizza and then had some fun. Theresa and I put together some ideas for some gag gifts. This first activity though revolved around a piece of Monica's history that we've made into quite the inside joke. Monica was raised in a Mennonite community and we have had a few laughs over her description of the head coverings she had to wear sometimes growing up. These head coverings looked an awful lot like a coffee filter. I decided we needed to decorate some coffee filters for her and do a fashion show. At first I figured I would have to decorate them by hand but then I got this idea to tape the filter to a piece of paper and run it through my printer to see if I could make some really good ones. I started putting together graphics and text and the next thing I knew I had 8 hilarious coffee filter head coverings for the fashion show.


This video shows the fun we had:





We also put together a "California Survival Kit" which included things like plastic bling, incense, a beach bag, and much more. Here is a clip of her new bling:




I also made her a special "non-Christian guy repellent" as a joke for her new adventure. This got a great laugh:



After the survival kit we got serious. Before Jesus parted with His best friends he got down on his hands and knees and washed their feet to show his love for them (and there was a lot more meaning to it all as well that we won't get into now). It was my privilege to wash the feet of my beloved friend before her departure. And we prayed for her too. I figured this all would make her cry but it was me who was sobbing by the end!

What does every good cry need to be comforted by? You're right! Chocolate! Before Theresa and I got ready to serve dessert we presented Monica with a scrapbook we put together for her of her time in Wyoming. Here is Faith the Fabulous finishing her pages:
And then we brought out the dessert.



If you're a long-term, die hard blog reader you might remember my trip to Seattle this last April to meet my sister's brand new baby. While on my trip I blogged about this Kahlua Almond Chocolate Cheesecake that my other sister, The Culinary Master, brought us from her cafe, Two Tartes. She was gracious enough to share the recipe with me and I mustered up the courage to make it. Here is a picture of it:







What'd you all think that ate some? I don't think that it tasted exactly like the one I had in Seattle but I am sure glad it wasn't a flop! We also had some Coconut Cream Pie. I have lots of leftovers, anyone want to have another girl's night? : ) (Reba the Radiant, you'd better not forget you offered to throw another one next month! I am holding your tatties...I mean feet...to the fire!)



We then got to spend some great time hanging out and telling stories that should only be told on girl's night. We laughed a lot to say the least.



Well, Monica the Magnificent, I hope you know how much we all love you and how wonderful you are. I am thinking California is getting a pretty good deal here! You'll be greatly missed and I hope you visit soon.

No comments: