Tuesday, November 17, 2009

God of Wonders

I knew that there was going to be the Leonid meteor shower last night. I read that even though it wouldn't be the best viewing from the US, that in the pre-dawn hours there would still be between 30 and 300 "shooting stars" every hour.

I have typically been waking up at 3:30 to go to the bathroom. Last night I slept until 5. I decided to peak out the windows and see what was going on. Nothing. I toured the main floor windows going from office to mudroom to dining room to family room and back again. Nothing. I let the dog out and decided I didn't want to miss anything spectacular that could be going on over the roof that I may not know about. I donned The Prairie Daddy's lovely muck boots and my heavy parka and went out to the deck in my pjs. I wanted to lay down but there were two owls hooting, a new cat that has come around our place was near, and it just felt altogether too spooky to lay vulnerable under the dark night sky. So I stood, staring into the beautiful infinity. The stars from our deck our phenomenal since we don't live near a city that can fade them out. On these dark nights with little moon light it is just awesome. You not only see the Milky Way, you know you're standing in it.

I started talking to my Father in my head. I was just praising Him for the beauty of the creation. And then, out of the corner of my eye a great big meteor shot across a short span of sky. I waited. Another. This one not quite so big. I think I only stayed out there for 5 minutes and saw about 5. I wished that I was curled up in a sleeping bag next to The Prairie Daddy for the remainder of the darkness but he was soundly, warmly sleeping inside and that is where I returned.

Lord, thank you for the stars.

"When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?" Psalm 8: 3-4


"He heals the brokenhearted
and binds up their wounds.
He determines the number of the stars
and calls them each by name.
Great is our Lord and mighty in power;
his understanding has no limit." Psalm 147:3-5

No comments: